Driving home last night from the hospital I was actually happy, go figure. I realized that I now really live day to day and yesterday I was so grateful that even though we had an 11 hour day up at Children's we got to come home, we didn't have to be admitted and spend the next four days up there.
This led me to think about the other things that I am grateful for. One of our Nurses, Ellen, told us about this man from Vietnam who was so thankful and appreciative that his son was getting treatment and that he did not have to grease the palms of the powers that be in order to get that. He was sad because his family and friends back home would not be so lucky.
I am so grateful to live in a developed country where Gracie can get treatment for a disease that without would end her life. Even more grateful that in Canada most of this we do not need to pay a dime for, if we were in the States, depending on medical coverage, we would be broke, probably have lost our house by now as the cost of the chemo drugs is SO expensive, not to mention the diagnositic testing.
I am grateful for the nurses and doctors up there, even though we have had our frustrations with the system, the individual people we deal with are amazing. I am grateful to the nurses up there who see you at your worst and still manage to give you a hug at the end of the day and tell you all the things they appreciate about you.
I am grateful that I have a partner in all of this who is as invested as I am. Lastly I am greatful to be blessed with Gracie in my life, such a big personality who teaches me every day how to take it moment by moment, and laugh at any chance you get. However that being said I think we will need a visit from Nanny 911 when all of this is over :).
Be grateful for the greatness in your life as it is all around you...
Christa
How beautifully put. I have tears in my eyes. You are amazing!
ReplyDeleteWonderful blog, C, and I am grateful for having someone so focused as my niece. Love Shirl
ReplyDelete