So although Gracie's PET scan still shows some activity it has been discussed that we should move forward to transplant. The PET scan technology is so new that they don't know how much to realistically rely on it with regard to Gracie's disease so Gary and I are most comfortable with proceeding ahead as per their recommendation as there are also so many side effects from chemo. And I honestly think that they are guessing as to what other combination of drugs to give her that will warrant a better result. So it looks like we will start sometime next week, as soon as we can get this infection under control. That will most reasonably put us in here until mid-end July.
It will be a hard month as she will be really sick, as anyone who has gone through radiation can tell you. The problem with the little ones is that they will not force themselves to eat so she will have to be under 24 hour care. They will put her rescued cells back after the third day of radiation and we then need to wait for her immunity to recover and for the complications to subside, which is usually 3 to 6 weeks.
Believe it or not what Gracie is about to go through is easy in comparison to some of the other kids we know and we appreciate and hold on to that daily. Will keep in touch.
Love The Sterks
No comments:
Post a Comment