For the past month or two I felt that we could finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. But after meeting with Gracie's oncology team today, that door at the end of the tunnel just slammed shut. Basically they are pretty convinced that these fevers are caused by hemophagocytosis because although the fevers are dying down now, her blood counts have tanked, she is basically at zero which means she has no immune system. The prescence of the hemophagocytosis further leads us to believe that Gracie's lymphoma is active again in some other parts of her body that we cannot see. This is worse than I ever expected as more often than not, when Gracie's lymphoma is accompanied by hemophagocytosis it is fatal.
On the good news front we have most likely caught it early enough that hopefully it can be controlled and expelled by transplant therapy. However we have been told that if her bone marrow is compromised than we will need to look at alternative therapies. We will know this as of Friday, we hope. I am not up to chatting these days so I will update this blog, but please forgive me if I do not return your calls at this time, I just am not up to it.
Love always,
The Sterks
I have no words Christa....know that we are raging right along with you.....we all wish we could take this burden away from all of you or at the very least share it.
ReplyDeleteWe love you all.....
L&W